Project Description

exterior of the old biscuit factory during the 1960s
interior of empty factory space at the biscuit factory
exterior of biscuit factory with car parking in front of building

The Peak Freans Biscuit Factory in Bermondsey started production in 1867 and was responsible for the Custard Cream and Garibaldi.

The factory buildings were in a poor state of repair and suffered from complex structural layouts and a series of underground tunnels, which had served as Victorian flood defences.

Part of a larger masterplan, the project consisted of the refurbishment and conversion of dilapidated industrial buildings to form new commercial space for start-up business spaces, a new café and sub-station, management office and extensive landscaping. Works focused on access, functionality improvement and bringing a well-defined identity to a previously unloved site.

Project Details

Date2009
Area3,405m²
DESIGN TEAMAHMM
Andrew Dufty (Project Manager, Contract Administrator)